Thursday, March 31, 2011

Lab #1

Map #1 : 
I found this map on the website: http://www.worldtimeexplorer.com/ which is a website that shows the local time of any location on earth. At first, what caught my eye about this map is that it is very colorful. From experience with maps, I knew that the colors probably corresponded to something; however, I thought that the different colors related to different temperatures. The color key at the bottom is also interesting, because although it seems as though it is a key, it does not have any words to explain what it means. Therefore, another reason why I found this map interesting was because it seems to have a lot going on, but if I had hadn't known what website it came from then I probably would have no idea what it was trying to portray. 

Map #2: 
While looking for maps, I wanted to find one of Greece. I found this map on the website http://www.greece-map.net/mainland-greece.htm. It basically just serves as a resource for maps of Greece. This map is very simple and straightforward. It is colorful but only colorful enough so that countries are distinguished from one another. I liked this one, because a lot of the times maps are confusing and too detailed. The thing that I found most interesting about this map is that the major cities within Greece are titled differently than one would expect. For example, many might not know that "Attica" is Athens. 


Map #3:
I found this map on the website  http://gpsinformation.info/penrod/62S/62-78.html. Therefore, what I found interesting about this map is that it was displayed on a website that promotes GPS devices. It is very detailed as you can tell from the many lines and dots. It is somewhat 3-D with the raised hills and the different contour lines. I also thought the contour lines were interesting, especially because it is something that we recently learned about in class, and I did not know that that's what they are called. Also, it's interesting how vague this map is because it has no labels, compass, or any other point of reference in order to know where this location is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment